Okay so everybody loves John Green. However, I find his books less than appealing and more unrealistic than romantic. There are simply better romance novels out there that are more interesting. I have been unable to finish a book by John Green except for the Fault in Our Stars. (because honestly who hasn’t read it?) An Abundance of Katherines was very weird, did the main character have a problem with people not named Katherine? NAME DISCRIMINATION MUCH? Paper Towns was ridiculous. This guy spends 90% of the book searching for a girl that he doesn’t know very well and doesn’t seem like she wants to be found. So much for true love. Looking for Alaska is a misleading title because the main characters aren’t really looking for Alaska (look north guys). And at the end of the novel, the characters seem to be in a deeper hole than the pits they were already in at the beginning. The Fault in Our Stars was okay??? And it was so obvious that CERTAIN things were going to happen not just because of spoilers, but because of how cliché and predictable John Green’s story was. Did I mention this book is over quoted on the internet? Not to mention the stupid black and white cloud stuff everywhere on facebook and on people’s t-shirts.
Here are some other suggestions to fill your romantic book life: (in no order)
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh
- Wow, I’m such a sap for this romance. Ahdieh’s beautiful writing style combined with all around amazing complex characters create a tantalizing romance that excites every moment in this Arabian world. What if desire and love overcome your will for revenge?
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
- Okay, this is one of my favorite romance novels. It appeals to a lot of readers because it is so relatable, especially to girls who experience the heartaches of growing up in teenage years. If you are a girl you understand the pain felt when your crush rejects you or seeks attention in another girl. The main character, Lara Jean, writes letters to the boys she used to like. All of them are unsent, until one day all her letters have been mailed to her crushes. Awwwwkkkward. And of course cute and totally romantic. Lots of drama.
- The Selection Series by Kiera Cass
- I absolutely loved this series, Kiera created a unique and individual world for her readers to experience. A Prince has to choose a wife for himself out of a group of girls selected from the kingdom. America is one of those girls, but she doesn’t want to be in the Selection, a mistake she thinks. Suddenly she isn’t so sure, the life she had imagined and what she wishes for and needs all don’t align anymore. 2 boys, a prince, and a childhood sweetheart. She has to choose to win or to lose.
- Rainbow Rowell
- I love Rainbow’s novels, especially Eleanor and Park and Fangirl. She writes differently than some authors by relying on the reader to imagine the surroundings of the characters while focusing more on her characters’ thoughts and emotions. This makes her novels very emotional and relatable. Her novels made me feel alive. (then I died at some parts and cried a lot)
- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
- I was obsessed with this book for awhile, and I still am a little with what this series could have been. (IT HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!) Garcia and Stohl created a romance that was amazing on so many levels. The characters were freaking amazing. There was a sense of forbidden romance. And of course, fate was messing around with the characters a lot. The supernatural! But please only read the first book. I read the rest of the series and the entire series fell so off track I needed to double check to make sure that those books were part of the 1st. But the 1st is amazing, do read it.
So what do you guys think? Did I miss any good romance novels? There are some others but they are also in other categories so I didn’t include them. Sorry for being so inactive I have been so busy with school! I am making it an effort to post more often. ❤